Monday, October 3, 2016

31 Days of Dracula- Day 3: Nosferatu

I have a special place in my heart for Nosferatu, because I didn't really appreciate it when I was younger. First, it was silent, which practically NOTHING was in the eighties of my youth.  There were the subtleties of German Expressionism, which I totally wasn't prepared for.  Combine that with the over stylized acting of silent movies and it just seemed goofy.  Count Orlock, the *NOT DRACULA* vampire, certainly was special in his unique rat like look.  I think the most memorable thing to me at the time was the fact that I should never have seen the movie at all, that Bram Stoker's widow sued to have them destroyed in a copyright infringement case.

But, a film class here, a couple of theater history classes there, and a late night rewatching of a scratchy videotape, I had the lightbulb moment... OH! now I get it.

Nowadays, I can still watch it, it's silent nature makes it good for background video when I'm focusing on something else.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...