Friday, October 2, 2015

Discopath

One of my favorite non-genre movies is Whit Stillman's The Last Days of Disco.  I probably saw it at least five times- at a movie theater.  

Obviously, I love horror movies, so when I discovered the existence of Discopath, I knew it had to go to the top of my list.  I thought it would be like a cinematic Reese's Cup.  Right.

Duane is a young man who reacts badly to the percussive beat of disco music.  After killing someone in New York City in 1976, he escapes to a new life in Montreal under an assumed name.  That works out until he's exposed to music and goes on a killing spree.

There's an over the top scene of naked Duane dancing around to a disco version of The Flight of the Bumble-Bee with two decapitated heads.  You've been warned.

Well.... as I was writing this piece, I had my notes:

Investigation montage 
Cardboard characters

Devolves quickly into an exercise in cruelty bookended by weakly humorous bits regarding the schools administrators or the police investigating the case

Almost as if the filmmakers didn't know what direction they wanted to take the movie in.

Technically, it's pretty good.  It's stylishly shot, and the eras of 1976 and 1980 were recreated well enough.

I wasn't really sure how I felt about the film; partially based on my expectations- Shudder describes it as "tongue in cheek", which I imagined it to mean humorous or light hearted. when I was looking for an poster or dvd cover image, I came across a another piece about this movie (on AnythingHorror.com) and they point out that it's a homage to Italian giallo movies- stylish, glossy thrillers usually about serial killers.  It clicked.  SURE.  That's exactly what it was.  And it succeeded.

The graphic excesses of the movie, too much for a horror comedy, aren't out of place in an Argento film like Tenebrae or Profondo Rosso.  I'm not sure if I'd recommend Discopath,  I guess you could give it a watch after you've seen all the movies it's trying to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...