Sunday, August 23, 2015

Facing My Fears: Dan Curtis' Dracula

When I was a kid, I saw a commercial for a movie that TERRIFIED me.  Now that I've identified the movie and approximately placed when I saw it, I understand why.  I was probably younger than six at the time, at my grandmother's house, and I'm sure it was later than my bedtime, broadcast sometime during a movie of the week as an upcoming attraction.  It was Dracula, produced and directed by Dark Shadows' Dan Curtis and scripted by Richard (Twilight Zone, I Am Legend, The Legend of Hell House) Matheson, so it's completely nightmare fuel for someone who's not even in second grade.  Here's the trailer.  The moment I remember most vividly is at the one minute mark, just before he bursts through the door, the closeup on the doorknob.
I've figured out that it was on CBS- it was broadcast February eighth, 1974, a Friday.  According to wikipedia, CBS was the network running movies on Friday night.

I'm watching it now, for the first time ever.  I'm not sure why I hadn't gotten around to it, I guess it wasn't as available when I was doing the "read too much Anne Rice" phase in the nineties, After that  I took time away from Vampire fiction and literature, but recently came back to it, even going so far, much to Igor's annoyance, as starting a 365 movie project (do you have any idea how many Lesbian vampire movies there are?). This version is now readily available on HULU, which is where I'm watching it.


It's pretty good.  The costume and production values are practically cinematic.  Jack Palance is understated, but menacing and effective.  The rest of the cast isn't as memorable, just stiff and British. Apparently, one of the Brides of Dracula is played by Sarah Douglas, later in Superman II.  It didn't really register.

Ultimately, it seems a lot like a European companion to the big screen House of Dark Shadows, also directed by Dan Curtis.  I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it and the forty-years older me thinks the childhood me must have been adorable to be scared by something like this.

(Oh, and if you've somehow found me via something other than facebook, I've got a page there, please like it (here) and you'll get notifications of future blogposts.  Thanks)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...